The Federal Budget 2023-24 delivers strong investments in emergency management, building on last year’s establishment of the National Emergency Management Agency and the up to $1 billion Disaster Ready Fund.
This investment will ensure a cohesive approach to natural hazard preparedness and emergency response and recovery.
Last year, nearly 70 per cent of Australians were impacted by storms, floods, cyclones and bushfires and the Australian public expects the Commonwealth to do more to improve the resilience of Australian communities.
The Australian Government is taking decisive action through greater investment in risk reduction and coordination of all-hazard preparedness, response and recovery.
You can access the National Emergency Management Agency’s Budget papers on the Department of Home Affairs’ website.
Budget 2023-24 initiatives:
- National Messaging System
- Public Safety Mobile Broadband
- National Emergency Management Stockpile
- Enhancing National Crisis Response and Recovery Capacities
- Disaster payments for eligible NZ visa holders
- National Disaster Mental Health and Wellbeing Framework